Enjoy this light and refreshing salad featuring ripe avocado and juicy grapefruit. The Grapefruit Shallot Vinaigrette is made in 15 seconds with a shake of a mason jar.
Let’s cut the grapefruit
We’re going to cut the grapefruit segments without the tough and bitter membrane. This method is called supreme.
First, trim off the top and bottom of the grapefruit.
Then, cut off the peel and white pith with your knife, hugging close to the grapefruit, following the shape of the grapefruit.
You’ll be left with a bit of pith there and there. You want to cut those off…they are bitter!
Find a membrane. Cut just right next to the membrane to remove a segment.
Repeat with rest of segments. When done, you’ll have the center of grapefruit with membranes. It’s full of juice! We’ll use that for the vinaigrette. Squeeze membrane, capturing juices into bowl
Now you have grapefruit segments for the salad, and grapefruit juice for the Grapefruit Shallot Vinaigrette!
Cut the avocado without stabbing your hand
Most people cut themselves when whacking at the avocado seed. NEVER whack the avocado seed! 1. The seed is ROUND and SLIPPERY. 2. That’s an awfully big and sharp knife you are whacking towards your hand!
Here’s safer way. Instead of whacking the avocado pit, cut the avocado into smaller segments and remove the pit easily. This works best with the avocado is perfectly ripe.
Go around the avocado once.
Rotate avocado and go around again…cutting 4 segments.
Twist to separate halves (see how there’s 4 segments?)
Twist to halve again.
If the pit is stubborn and won’t come out….halve again.
Then remove pit.
The avocado skin easily peels right off.
Make the Grapefruit Shallot Vinaigrette
Add all these ingredients into a mason jar, close tightly, and shake.
Other ingredients you can add to salad
- Proteins like: cooked shrimp, shredded rotisserie chicken
- Nuts like: chopped pistachios, pepitas, sliced almonds, candied walnuts
- Other fruits instead of grapefruit: orange, strawberries, blueberries
- If you’re not using grapefruit, you won’t have grapefruit juice…instead, replace the grapefruit juice equal amount of orange juice. Or lemon juice (add an additional 1 tsp honey). I’ve also just added additional cider vinegar (and additional 1 tsp honey).
Grapefruit Avocado & Arugula Salad Recipe
Prep Time: 0 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
2 medium avocado
8 ounces baby arugula or mixed greens
FOR THE GRAPEFRUIT SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE
3 tablespoons grapefruit juice (from the grapefruit)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Section the grapefruit without the membrane, saving the juice in a small bowl. From the leftover membrane, squeeze and reserve as much juice as possible. Set aside the grapefruit sections.
2. To make the Grapefruit Shallot Vinaigrette, add all of the vinaigrette ingredients into a mason jar. Close lid tightly and shake.
3. Just before serving, pit and thinly slice the avocados. Assemble the salad and toss with the vinaigrette.