Creamy Shrimp Mushroom Linguine! Pasta, shrimp and brown mushrooms in a low fat, garlic parmesan cream sauce without losing the creamy flavour? Of course! You won’t even miss the heavy cream!
*Originally posted January 28, 2015.
After the popularity of my Lightened Up Chicken Carbonara, of course you needed more! This creamy recipe has NO HEAVY CREAM! And the best part? You would NEVER KNOW! Using a secret weapon I’ve been using for years, this recipe will trick any creamy sauce lover!
Not only is this Creamy Shrimp Mushroom Linguine easy to make, it’s filled with so much flavour. The kids love it too, which is a huge bonus at the dinner table.
How to make Creamy Shrimp Mushroom Linguine
- While your pasta as boiling, you’re going to start your sauce. This ensures the pasta and sauce are both ready at the same time, and your pasta won’t end up a clumped together ball of dough and cold. I use linguine for this recipe, but you can use fettuccini or spaghetti. Even penne is good in this! Also, don’t forget to reserve your pasta water! That’s where the magic continues and helps the sauce stay super thick and creamy.
- Fry your mushrooms in garlic and onion, then the shrimp are cooked in the same pan with the leftover pan juices from the mushrooms.
- Once those are cooked and transferred to a plate, continue with the sauce. This is where the magic happens, by cooking cream cheese together with milk. You may notice a few lumps after a couple of minutes of simmering, but don’t worry. Once everything is added back into the pan along with the reserved starchy pasta water you will end up with a silky smooth sauce.
The entire family have absolutely no idea this even remotely lower in fat. No.idea.people.
WATCH HOW I MAKE Creamy Shrimp Mushroom Linguine RIGHT HERE!
Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Linguine
Weight Watchers: 11pp per serve
Servings: 6 people
Calories: 432 kcal
- 12 ounces (350 grams)linguine pasta (dry weight)
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced brown mushrooms
- 1 pound 500 grams fresh shrimp (prawns) without shells, washed and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to suit your tastes)
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika (or smokey)
- Salt to season
- 1 8 ounce (250g) pack cream cheese at room temperature (low fat or fat free are fine to use)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup light Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt to season, if desired
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
Cook pasta according to package instructions in a pot of salted boiling water; drain and rinse reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Set it aside for later.
While pasta is boiling, heat a large frying pan/skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the pan and fry half of the garlic for about 30 seconds; add the onions, and continue sautéing until soft. Add the mushrooms and fry while occasionally stirring, until the mushrooms have browned. Stir through 1-2 tablespoons of water and cook them for a further minute (they will create a beautiful gravy with their natural juices). Transfer mushrooms to a plate and set it aside (keep any liquid leftover in the pan).
To the same pan, add the remaining oil. Saute remaining garlic until fragrant. Add the shrimp and cook until they just begin to change colour. Add the pepper flakes, paprika and salt.
Cook while occasionally stirring for a further 1-2 minutes to combine all the flavours in the pan, Add the mushrooms to the pan, stirring them through the flavours in the pan. Transfer the shrimp/mushroom mixture to the same plate the mushrooms were on.
Add the cream cheese and milk to the same pan and bring to a gentle simmer while stirring occasionally, while breaking up the cream cheese. (Don’t worry if it’s lumpy. The more it simmers, the more it turns into a creamier consistency.) Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, then add the cheeses. Once the cheese has melted through, taste test and season with a little salt (if needed.)
Add the shrimp/mushroom mix along with the pasta into the creamy sauce, stirring everything through for a further 2 minutes on low heat. Add the reserved pasta water — 1/4 cup at a time — only if needed or until reaching your desired consistency.
Garnish with parsley and serve!
Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Linguine
Amount Per Serving
Calories 432 Calories from Fat 101
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11.2g 17%
Total Carbohydrates 49.8g 17%
Dietary Fiber 1.6g 6%
Protein 31.3g 63%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.