Beef & Bean Jalapeño Chili is one of the best and easiest chili’s ready in under 30 minutes! Full of ground beef and beans, this chili gets its flavour and spice from Jalapeño peppers!
A big bowl of Beef & Bean Jalapeño Chili is perfect for a cold and rainy night in, binge watching Netflix (my personal fave is Stranger Things, OF COURSE), and using a piece of this sweet buttermilk cornbread to soak up all the juices leftover in the bowl. YAS! One pot — 30 minutes — PERFECT!
This Beef & Bean Jalapeño Chili couldn’t be any easier. If you’ve been following me for a while now, you may have noticed how much I love throwing ingredients into a pot and allowing it to cook or simmer until its ready. There’s nothing like relying on an oven, a slow cooker or a stove top to create a beautiful bowl of comfort food. Especially when it’s cold and miserable outside, as it has been over here this past week! I took full advantage of the freezing nights and made three batches of this chili — two of which made it to the freezer waiting for me to use them for something else!
How To Make Beef & Bean Jalapeño Chili
- Just how hot do you like your chili? If you like it to burn your mouth out hot, you can up the jalapeño amount to three or for diced jalapeños WITH the seeds. If you like it just enough to have a bite but not get your sinuses running down your face — this is my preference — then the recipe below should be good-to-go for you. If you like a mild chili? Reduce the jalapeño amount to 1, and reduce the chili powder to 1 tablespoon. After all, this IS a Chili recipe! It needs to have some punch to it.
- The recipe calls for ground beef (or beef mince) but you CAN you use ground turkey or chicken. You could also use a slow cook meat, such as chuck steak or brisket, BUT you will need to have it on a low simmer for a couple of hours to allow the meat to break down.
- Any beans can be used in this recipe! I love kidney beans (red beans) and black beans, but you can swap them with pinto beans or even chick peas!
Beef & Bean Jalapeño Chili is perfect for game day! Or Netflix! Right?
Beef & Bean Jalapeño Chili
Beef Bean Jalapeño Chili is one of the best and easiest chili’s ready in under 30 minutes! Full of ground beef, beans and Jalapeño peppers!
Servings: 8 servings
Calories: 250 kcal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions diced
- 1 green pepper (capsicum) diced
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers finely chopped (with seeds)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped or minced (or 2 tablespoons minced garlic)
- 2 pounds (1 kilo) ground beef (mince) (I use lean)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (adjust to your tastes)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or sweet paprika)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 14.4 ounce (410 grams) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.8 ounce (420 grams) can tomato sauce (American) (or condensed tomato soup for Aussies)
- 2 cups (500 ml) beef or chicken broth
- 2 14 ounce (400gram) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 14 ounce (400gram) can black beans, drained
- Sour Cream
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Sliced Jalapeños
- Chopped Green Onions
- Fresh Cilantro Leaves
Heat oil in large heavy-based pot (or casserole pot) over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until transparent, then add the green peppers (or capsicum), jalapeños and garlic; sautéing for a further minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up any big chunks with the end of your wooden spoon. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, paprika and salt and mix through until beef is fully coated in the seasonings.
Mix in the crushed tomatoes along with the juices, the tomato sauce (or soup), broth and beans. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and allow to simmer while stirring occasionally, until the chili thickens (about 30 minutes).
Ladle into individual bowls, and top with sour cream, grated cheese, sliced jalapeños, chopped green onions, and/or cilantro.
Beef & Bean Chili can be made 2 days ahead. After cooking, allow to cool completely, cover and refrigerate. On the day of cooking, take out of the refrigerator at least an hour before heating.
Beef & Bean Jalapeño Chili
Amount Per Serving
Calories 250 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13g 20%
Saturated Fat 5g 25%
Cholesterol 73mg 24%
Sodium 627mg 26%
Potassium 556mg 16%
Total Carbohydrates 6g 2%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 24g 48%
Vitamin A 18.6%
Vitamin C 23.2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.
Serve with Easy Buttermilk Cornbread