The last recipe of 2017.
Wow, what a year. I know that this is such an old-person thing to say, but this year has truly gone by so quickly. It doesn’t feel like it’s time to welcome 2018, yet here we are. So that’s what we’re gonna do.
In true Minimalist Baker fashion, let’s pour a drink and cheers to a new year.
This 6-ingredient cocktail is my new favorite thing. It combines all of my favorite flavors: citrus, ginger, orange, and bourbon. It’s like they belong together. Who are we to keep them apart?
Orange peel is muddled with fresh ginger juice, lemon juice, maple syrup, and bitters. Then comes ice and bourbon and a vigorous shake or stir before serving over ice. That’s it! And your perfect New Year’s Eve (or everyday) cocktail is ready.
For garnish, I went with fresh mint, lemon wedges, and a few cranberries for a festive touch, but it’s entirely up to you! I could also see pomegranate or candied ginger being delicious additions. Cheers!
I hope you all LOVE this cocktail! It’s:
Simple yet sophisticated
& Quite tasty
This would make the perfect cocktail for New Year’s Eve celebrations and beyond. It’s also my favorite “Yay! I made it to Friday again” celebration drink. What I’m saying is, no matter the occasion, this drink delivers.
If you’re looking for more cocktails, also be sure to check out our Ginger Beer Margaritas, Sparkling Pomegranate Margaritas, St. Germaine Pomegranate Spritzers, Pear and Cranberry Champagne Cocktails, and Winter Bourbon Smash.
If you try this cocktail, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Orange-Infused Whiskey Ginger
Orange-infused whiskey ginger with fresh lemon and ginger juice. Naturally sweetened, zesty, citrusy, and perfect for the holidays and beyond!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Beverage
- 1 3-inch-long piece orange peel
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml or 1 Tbsp) ginger juice*
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup (or sub cane sugar or agave nectar)
- 1 1/2 ounces (45 ml or 3 Tbsp) lemon juice
- 2 dashes bitters (I like Angostura brand)
- 2 ounces (60 ml or 4 Tbsp) bourbon whiskey (I recommend Buffalo Trace or Bulleit Bourbon)
- Ice (for shaking)
- 3-4 large ice cubes
- optional: Dash sparkling water or champagne
- optional: Sprig fresh mint
- optional: fresh fruit (such as cranberries, lemon or orange wedges, pomegranate, or raspberries)
- Run orange peel around the rim of your serving glass. Then add peel to a small pitcher or cocktail shaker along with ginger juice, maple syrup, lemon juice, and bitters.
- Use a muddler (or a spoon) to muddle/meld the orange peel with the other ingredients – about 1 minute.
- Next, add bourbon and ice and stir or shake vigorously to combine – about 30 seconds.
- Pour over serving glass with 3-4 ice cubes. To dilute slightly, top with a dash of sparkling water (optional). For a more festive touch, you could also top with champagne (optional). Garnish with fresh mint and cranberries (also optional).
- To multiply this recipe, prepare in a large pitcher and multiply ingredients by number of servings desired. Will keep stored in the refrigerator up to 24 hours (don’t add ice before serving or it will dilute the cocktail).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 beverage without optional ingredients.
Serving size: 1 drink Calories: 256 Fat: 1.1 g Saturated fat: 0.3 g Carbohydrates: 28.9 g Sugar: 13.8 g Sodium: 8 mg Fiber: 3.4 g Protein: 1.9 g