This easy and fresh Black Bean Salad with corn, avocado, tomatoes, red pepper, cilantro, and lime is always a crowd pleaser! Serve it as a salad or dip with tortilla chips!
Perfect Summer Salad
One of my favorite things about summer are all of the BBQ’s, parties, potlucks, and picnics. I feel like our neighborhood is a lot more social during the summertime. People come out of winter hibernation and want to socialize again:) It seems like we are off to a party or hosting a party a few times a week, which is so much fun!
One of my favorite recipes to make during the summertime is this Black Bean Salad. It is my go to because I love it and because EVERYONE loves it. It is always a crowd pleaser! And the best part? It only takes minutes to make!
Easy and Healthy Black Bean Salad
I also love this salad because it is vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free, making it a great salad to share with everyone! It is colorful, healthy, and super fresh! This easy salad has all of my favorite ingredients in one bowl.
- black beans
- sweet corn
- red bell pepper
- red onion
I also add a little olive oil, cumin, and chili powder for extra flavor!
Tips for Making Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Make sure you rinse and drain the black beans before you get started. You don’t want the liquid in the can in your salad or it will be soupy.
- I love using fresh sweet corn in this salad during the summertime. Cut the corn kernels off a large ear of corn with a sharp knife. You don’t have to cook the sweet corn, you can add it to the salad raw. If corn is out of season, you can use frozen corn or drained canned corn.
- I use grape or cherry tomatoes and cut them in half. You can also use a large tomato and chop it, both work great!
- Red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, or orange bell pepper can be used in this black bean salad. They will all add great color and flavor.
- I use red onion because I love the pop of purple, but green onion will work too.
- Fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro really boost the flavor in this salad. If you are in the group that thinks cilantro tastes like soap, you could use fresh parsley instead. I love the cilantro flavor though:)
- Don’t skip the olive oil, it brings the salad together.
- I add chili powder and cumin. The chili powder doesn’t make the salad spicy, it just gives it a nice flavor. If you want to add heat to the salad, you can add diced jalapeño.
- Stir in the avocado right before serving. You can prepare the salad in advance and store it in the fridge for hours, even a day before serving, if you wish. Just wait to stir in the avocado right before. Stir gently so it doesn’t get mashed up.
- Season with plenty of salt to bring out all of the flavors!
Everyone’s Favorite Salad
Every time I share this black bean salad with family and friends they ask me for the recipe. It is for sure a favorite! We love making it for parties and for a quick and easy everyday recipe at home!
I like to put the salad over a bed of lettuce to bulk it up for lunch or dinner. The boys love eating the black bean salad with tortilla chips. We have also put the black bean and corn salad inside of a quesadilla and made tacos with it! It is a GREAT all around salad! This salad can be easily doubled so if you are feeding a crowd, go ahead and double it because it probably won’t last long:)
Share this easy Black Bean Salad with your family and friends this summer! It’s a winner!
If you like this Black Bean Salad, you might also like:
Black Bean Salad
This easy Black Bean can be made in minutes and is a great appetizer or side dish to any meal. Serve it as a salad or dip with tortilla chips!
Yield: Serves 4-6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn (1 large ear of sweet corn or 1 cup defrosted frozen corn)
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, corn, tomatoes, red pepper, onion, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, salt, chili powder, and cumin. Stir to combine. Gently stir in the avocado and season with additional salt, if necessary. Serve.
Notes-this salad can be made in advance, up to 1 day, just wait to stir in the avocado until serving time.
All images and text © .
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!