We’ve covered the how-to’s on plain hummus… we’ve done a winter spin on hummus… and today it’s all about Loaded Summer Hummus!
Imagine a silky smooth hummus loaded with a summer salad with avocado, tomatoes, fried chickpeas, red onions, cucumbers and chives and then once you’re done thinking about how incredible that would be right this very second… MAKE IT!
It takes less than 7 minutes once you peel the chickpeas and makes for a gorgeous appetizer or snack. Serve it up with some baked pita chips! And TRUST me… peeling the chickpeas make a world of difference. You can skip that step if you’re in a hurry (it adds an extra 3-4 minutes to the total time) but if you take the time to peel the skins off the chickpeas the hummus will be beyond smooth. Like the smoothest hummus ever! EVER. You’ll hate me for those 3-4 minutes but I promise you’ll feel better as soon as it’s done!! xoxo
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and peeled
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, more as needed
- 2-3 small cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- Water as needed
- ½ cup chickpeas, dried and roasted until just toasty
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced or chopped
- ½ avocado, cut into cubes
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Lemon wedges
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Cracked black pepper
For the Hummus
For the Toppings:
- In a food processor, blend the chickpeas by themselves for 1 minute until powdery clumps form.
- Scrape down the sides and blend again until everything is the same consistency.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt and blend until smooth. With the machine running, drizzle in 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until you get very smooth, light and creamy mixture.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, garlic or lemon if needed.
- To serve, top it with all the toppings sprinkled over the top, drizzle with olive oil and serve with freshly baked pita chips.