While I’m not ready for the cooler temps, I am totally ready for some fall food! Particularly heartier pastas like the kinds I was chowing down on this time last year in Italy!
This creamy mushroom pasta is everything I want in life and more. Perfectly cooked Delallo fettuccine covered with a creamy mushroom sauce and fresh herbs. It’s picture perfect.
The mushrooms are cooked down in my favorite olive oil until they are golden and caramelized – that’s when all the flavor really develops – so don’t skimp on the caramelizing part! Once they are golden, they get loaded up with garlic to pack an extra punch of flavor, and then deglazed white wine. Once the wine cooks out and leaves all that flavor, you add some heavy cream and then polish it off with salt, pepper, herbs and cheese.
It’s like my make believe Italian grandma whipped up dinner in under 20 minutes and then called me to come over for some pasta and a glass of wine! (goals right?? A girl can dream) Make this anytime this fall! It can be a quick and easy weeknight meal or a crowd pleaser if you’re entertaining some guests!! Get after it! Xoxo
- 2 tablespoons Delallo olive oil
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- ¼ pound fresh morel mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces Delallo fettuccine pasta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- ¾ cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper and cook until golden browned, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir the garlic into mushrooms and cook for 1 minute; pour in white wine and cook until wine is nearly evaporated. Mix chicken stock into mushroom mixture; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the heavy cream into mushroom mixture and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes until the mixture starts to foam.
- While the mushrooms are finishing cooking, fill a large pot with water and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in the Delallo fettuccine and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain but do not rinse pasta; transfer to a large serving bowl and keep warm.
- Stir thyme and chives into mushroom sauce and turn off heat; mix 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese into sauce until cheese has melted.
- Pour all the mushroom sauce and half the mushrooms over pasta, reserving about half the mushrooms in the skillet. Toss pasta in sauce until coated; top with remaining mushrooms and remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for garnish.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking