A Spinach Cheese Strata is the PERFECT way to start a weekend. Loaded with cheese, veggies and toasted cubed bread – it’s everything you want in the morning and more!
In my mind a savory strata is part stuffing and part egg bake if that makes sense. It’s freaking delicious and one cannot be left along with the entire thing otherwise it will end poorly. Trust, I speak from experience. This Spinach Cheese Strata is loaded with 2 kinds of cheese, feel free to add more if you want, plus tons of wilted spinach to make it healthy-ish. It’s the right way to live. It’s literally the best strata out there!
For the full winter brunch menu, check out the menu here! including a sweet strata, a breakfast salad and the bloody mary of your dreams!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. fresh spinach
- 1 1/2-lb. loaf french bread, bread cut into 1-inch squares and toasted (about 9 cups)
- 2 cups Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 10 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups half and half or heavy cream
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan over medium heat, warm 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add half of the spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander. Repeat with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and spinach. Using a rubber spatula, press out the excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, toss together the bread cubes, the caramelized onion, spinach and cheeses. Transfer to a 4-quart baking dish. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, half-and-half, the 1 teaspoons salt and pepper, to taste. Pour over the bread mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat an oven to 350°F
- Remove the plastic wrap from the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the top is browned and the strata is cooked through, 40 to 50 minutes more. Serve 12.