I’m feeling a little 2010 sharing these kale chips with you.
But! Kale chips are my lover.
I mean, we LOVE kale chips in this house. I make them an embarrassing amount… it is ridiculous. They are a serious staple.
And I’ve been making them for years. When I first tried kale chips, I was THRILLED to learn that I enjoyed them. This was when I was very much trying to “adult” and force myself to eat veggies after a lifetime of loathing them. It took so much trial and error, experimentation, failed recipes and gross dishes to settle on things that I loved.
And kale? Well, ten years ago it was just all up in our face as…
THIS IS THE BEST FOOD FOR YOU!
This recipe is actually out of Seriously Delish!
Back when the book first came out, this was probably one of my favorite recipes inside. Even though it’s so super simple. I just died over the flavor combination.
However! If you want to know my #1 kale secret, it’s nutritional yeast. On the regular, during the week, when I’m pressed for time, when I need an afternoon snack – I mist kale with olive oil and sprinkle on nutritional yeast. That is IT.
It’s super good, it’s almost cheesy and has enough flavor that I don’t even need salt and pepper. But I also know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea and it certainly isn’t an ingredient in everyone’s pantry.
And I wanted to make a kale chip that was more palate friendly. Not quite as bitter, something that really made people fall in LOVE and that’s exactly where these came from.
The pistachio parmesan combo is incredible. It’s nutty and cheesy and crunchy and overall, super good! I use the food processor to make a finely ground seasoning. It adheres to the kale better than way. But if you’re pressed for time or don’t feel like dirtying a major appliance, just chop the pistachios up as finely as you can and toss with the parm. You will fall in love.
Here’s a few of my favorite dishes to eat with kale chips:
I’m not exaggerating at all when I say that over the last nine years or so, I’ve truly made kale chips with EVERYTHING. They go with so many different dishes and they actually last for a day or two if you loosely tent them with foil. I’ve even taken these to the movies before to snack on.
Before I had kids. Ha.
My favorite things to serve as a main dish to kale chips are soups and sandwiches!
Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips
Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips
Parmesan pistachio kale chips are an easy and healthy snack – fully of nutty, cheesy flavor and crispy like regular chips!
- ½ cup roasted, salted shelled pistachios
- 3 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch of curly green kale, (leaves stripped from stems)
- olive oil mist
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Mist the kale leaves with olive oil – if you don’t have an olive oil spray or mist, you can massage 1 to 2 teaspoons of the oil into the leaves. Sprinkle the parm pistachio mixture evenly over top.
- Bake the kale chips for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently flip the leaves. Bake for another 12 minutes more, until they are crispy and darker in color. Bake time will vary depending on the size of your kale leaves. If they are very small, check them after 5 minutes more of bake time as they can burn easy.
- Serve immediately! These stay fairly fresh when stored in a ziplock bag or wrapped loosely in aluminum foil. They last for about two days.
- For super easy kale chips, skip the parm pistachio mixture. Mist the kale leaves with olive oil and sprinkle on 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast. Follow the same baking/flip time above!
Definitely tastes better than it looks.