Chicken Tortellini Soup
Prep Time:10 minutes Cook Time:20 minutes Total Time:30 minutes Servings: 4
A quick and easy home made chicken tortellini soup that both light and bright, and filling and hearty!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini (gluten free for gluten free)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrot and celery and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth or stock, chicken and poultry seasoning, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and simmer until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix in the parsley.
Option: Pulse half of the onions, carrots and celery in a food processor until they are in grainy bits, do the first step with only the pureed veggies, cooking until they get nice and caramelized before deglazing the pan with the chicken broth and adding the remaining veggies. This way the pureed vegetables get amazingly caramelized and add a ton of flavour and the remaining veggies keep more of their texture because they are cooked less.
Option: Replace the oil with bacon grease.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso in the final step.
Option: Mix in 1/4 cup finely grated parmigiano regginao (parmesan) in the last step.
Slow Cooker: Optionally implement step 1, place everything except the tortellini, miso, parmesan and parsley in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours before adding the tortellini, cooking on high until tender, about 10 minutes, and mixing in the miso, parmesan and parsley.
Option: Another option is to use whole chicken breasts or thighs, placing them in the slow cooker with everything and pulling them out, shredding and returning to the soup when it is done cooking.