I make mango salsa all the time, yet it just occurred to me that I had yet to post a classic homemade mango salsa recipe here on the blog. It’s one of those things that’s perhaps too simple – once you memorize the recipe, you can leave the measuring cups in the drawer and just eyeball the ingredients. After that, you can change it up in numerous ways because it’s such a flexible, easy recipe. Get your margarita ready – let’s make salsa!
Mango Salsa Recipe Ingredients
This sweet & spicy salsa requires just 7 ingredients!
- Mangos make it golden, juicy, and sweet.
- Red Onion adds a pop of contrasting color and cuts the sweetness of the mango.
- Cilantro flecks it with green and adds fresh flavor.
- Lime juice makes this bright and tangy!
- Garlic adds a subtle depth of flavor.
- Jalapeño spices it up!
- And salt pulls it all together.
What type of mango is best for mango salsa?
Good question! Any ripe mango will work here, but I especially love Ataulfo or Champagne mangos. They’re the smaller, yellow mangos you see all over grocery stores at this time of year. They’re especially juicy, and their texture is softer and less fibrous than that of bigger red mangos.
Mango Salsa Recipe Variations
This salsa recipe is super flexible! Feel free to change it up to match what you have on hand or how you’re serving it. I recommend stirring in some diced avocado, a splash of hot sauce, or chopped tomatoes (see this mango pico recipe). It would also be delicious with roasted jalapeños instead of raw!
Mango Salsa Serving Suggestions
Just like most salsa recipes, mango salsa is darn good with tortilla chips for dipping – you can even top it onto guacamole for a dressed-up appetizer! But if you want to show it off as part of a full meal, it’s especially good used in place of the mango in these recipes:
Looking for more homemade salsa recipes?
Author: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe type: appetizer
- 2 medium ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- ½ jalapeño or 1 serrano pepper, minced or thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mango, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, jalapeño and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to use.
pictured: anthro plate