Blueberry ricotta cake is on tap for your weekend!
Just LOOK at that glaze!
BRB, going to eat a huge slice of this right now.
I always get so excited to bake a weekend treat come Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. Something to have to snack on all weekend or, let’s be real – eat for breakfast.
My mom is the queen of cake for breakfast. This is one of those treats that you can bake and snack on or share first thing in the morning.
It’s incredible with a cup of coffee – hot or iced!
And the best part about it? It’s blanketed in that incredible lavender glaze.
The blueberry lavender combo is one I love so much. Remember when I made this blueberry lavender chia jam? It’s quick and easy and incredible. The florals add a little bit of interest to the blueberries and mixed with the sugar, the combo is so delicious!
You know I’m crazy about the lavender glaze on top of banana bread too. I figured it could only be better on a blueberry loaf! Berries + lavender is a match made in heaven.
And it’s just so gorgeous.
For the glaze, I used this lavender extract again. You don’t HAVE to use the extract – you can definitely use dried culinary lavender! That is what I’ve done for years and once I found the lavender extract, I realized it was a little easier than the dried flowers.
If you want to use the dried culinary lavender instead, I suggest infusing the cream/milk with the flowers and letting it cool. Then straining it for an amazing lavender flavor. You can use it in hot coffee too, FYI.
The ricotta cake is light but dense – sort of like a pound cake. You could use another fruit if you wish, like raspberries or blackberries. Throw it on the grill and serve it with extra blueberries. You can toast it too.
Isn’t that the best sight ever?!
Blueberry Ricotta Cake with Lavender Glaze
Blueberry Ricotta Cake
This lovely blueberry ricotta cake is covered in a lavender glaze and the perfect recipe for blueberry season! It’s rich and light and super flavorful.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, (softened)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups of powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lavender extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons milk
- a drop of light pink or purple food coloring
- optional: culinary lavender flowers
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Beat in the ricotta cheese, lemon juice and vanilla extract until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the dry ingredients until they are just combined. Do not overmix!
- Toss the blueberries with the 1 tablespoon of flour. Add the blueberries to the batter and use a spatula to fold them in.
- Spread the batter in the loaf pan. Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a tested inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 20 to 30 minutes before inverting it onto a dish, cooling rack or parchment paper. Let it cool completely before glazing.
- To make the lavender glaze, whisk all ingredients together until smooth. If it seems to thick, add in more milk 1 teaspoon at a time. If desired, you can add a drop of food coloring to make it pinkish-purple!
- Once the glaze is smooth, drizzle it over the cake. Let it sit until it firms up before slicing.
- Optional: sprinkle a teaspoon of culinary lavender over top of the glaze.
I’ll take a cake full of antioxidants any day.
The post Blueberry Ricotta Cake with Lavender Glaze. appeared first on How Sweet Eats.