This recipe is sponsored by California Walnuts
They’re juuust spicy enough to be fun. They’re filling but not heavy. They’re versatile and colorful and so super nutritious. Vegan burrito bowls are WHERE IT’S AT this month.
The Big Four:
- Cauliflower walnut taco meat
- Blistered pepper strips
- Black Beans
In typical fashion, toppings are an ocean of possibilities. Lime. Cilantro. Salsa. Avocado. Hot Sauce.
It is really hard to go wrong here.
How to Make Vegan Burrito Bowls
First up. Cauliflower walnut taco meat.
I don’t want to pick favorites in this burrito bowl situation, but you guys, WALNUTS ARE OUR STAR! Super nutritious and packed with omega-3s (2.5 grams per one ounce serving!). They absolutely make the “meat” that absolutely makes the bowls.
Grind it up, bake it up, end of story.
And as long as you have your oven on, go ahead and throw a second sheet pan in there with some pepper strips.
Healthy Lunch Prep FTW
On a scale of one to amazing, how good does it feel to do a lil advance prep for healthy lunches?
The morning is chaotic, time is flying by, and suddenly it’s lunchtime and you’re superhungry and you go to the fridge and BAM, there’s something really delicious waiting to love you through the rest of your day.
This month, we’re taking the pledge to #ChooseLunch with our friends at California Walnuts. That means no skipping lunch. No working while eating. No midday slump. And if that lunch break happens to be away from your desk and far from your email inbox then you are just WINNING.
Other Ideas for Vegan Burrito Bowls:
Vegan Burrito Bowls are WHERE IT’S AT. Spicy cauliflower walnut meat, blistered pepper strips, hot fluffy rice, and a heap of black beans. YUM.
Cauliflower Walnut Taco Meat:
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups whole walnuts
- 2 individual chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- lime juice, garlic / onion powder, and cayenne to taste
- 4–5 bell peppers, sliced
- olive oil and salt
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- lime wedges and cilantro for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Pulse all ingredients for the taco meat in a food processor until a thick and crumbly mixture forms. Spread onto a nonstick sheet pan.
- Arrange the peppers on a separate sheet pan. Toss with olive oil and salt.
- Bake both pans for 40-45 minutes.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Divide everything up into 6 containers, with lime wedges, cilantro, salsa, avocado, that kind of thing. Delish!
Rice: I cook mine in the Instant Pot! 1 1/2 cups rice with 1 3/4 cup water, for 3 minutes, and natural pressure release.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican-Inspired
Keywords: vegan recipe, meal prep, healthy lunch, burrito bowl, vegan burrito bowl
Thank you to California Walnuts for sponsoring this recipe!