- 1/2 cup natural salt-free tomato sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 or 3 medium cloves garlic, passed through a garlic press or very finely minced
- 2 whole-wheat, sprouted-wheat or gluten-free pitas
- 1 cup loosely packed spinach or other winter greens, finely chopped
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp minced fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, red pepper flakes and garlic; stir to mix well.
- Place both pitas on a baking sheet. Using a pastry brush or spoon, evenly divide sauce mixture between pitas, leaving a 1/4-inch border around edges. Sprinkle with spinach, then arrange mozzarella rounds over top of greens, dividing both evenly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until greens are wilted and mozzarella is melted. Remove from oven, sprinkle with basil, dividing evenly, and serve immediately. If you’re enjoying 1 pizza, loosely wrap remaining pizza in aluminum foil or store in a sealable container for up to 2 days in refrigerator. Reheat in a warm oven or serve at room temperature.
This photo is copyright protected