This Meatball Parmesan is a hearty, rich and delicious. Perfect for cozy winter weeknights! It features juicy meatballs smothered in a delicious marinara sauce and topped with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. A simple dish that is beautiful and oh so tasty!
This hearty Meatball Parmesan bake marries up homemade meatballs, marinara, and Italian cheeses in one skillet or pan. Perfect for an easy weeknight meal and so versatile… use it on subs, pasta, and more!
How To Make Meatball Parmesan – Step By Step
Place the breadcrumbs (if using bread slices, cut off the crust and tear bread into bite-size pieces) and milk in a large mixing bowl, then add eggs, salt, pepper, Parmesan, parsley, basil, oregano to the breadcrumbs/milk mixture and stir well.
Add ground meat and mix, gently, just until incorporated and form into 2½-inch balls.
Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until brown & cooked through.
While the meatballs cook, prepare the sauce (if making homemade).
Place 1-cup sauce in the prepared skillet and sprinkle with a third of the grated Parmesan. Set the meatballs in the skillet, leaving a little space between the meatballs. Pour the remaining sauce over the meatballs and sprinkle with another third of the grated Parmesan.
Transfer skillet to the oven and bake until sauce is hot and bubbly. Top each meatball with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese and the remaining third of Parmesan. Cook just until the cheese is melted and starting to lightly brown.
Allow the Meatball Parmesan to cool before serving.
Serve with a toasty Italian baguette and a side salad.
What Other Types of Meat Can I Use?
Ground chuck or pork are great for meatballs because they always turn out so juicy from the higher fat content. You can use any type of ground meat that you like. Keep in mind that meat with a lower fat content like turkey, chicken, or lean ground beef will yield dryer meatballs. You can mix a lean type of meat with something fattier like lamb, regular ground beef, or pork.
How To Store Leftover Meatballs
This Meatball Parmesan recipe will last 3 – 4 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container. To freeze just place the cooked meatballs on a baking sheet and freeze separately to begin with. Transfer them to a freezer bag or otherwise airtight container and place back in the cold and they’ll keep for up to 3 months.
How To Serve Meatball Parmesan
This Meatball Parmesan can be served in a variety of ways on a variety of dishes, feel free to get creative with them!
- Over pasta.
- Spooned over fluffy mashed potatoes.
- It pairs perfectly with my creamy polenta.
- Stuffed into sandwiches, think meatball sub but better than you ever imagined it could be.
- Transform these bad boys into little sliders.
Top Tips For Meatball Parmesan
- Any ground meat would work. Ground beef would work great as well. You can also combine meats like ground pork and ground beef together.
- You can fry the meatballs. Heat about a tbsp of oil in a skillet then add the meatballs and fry until golden all around, should take about 7 to 10 minutes.
- For easier prep, make meatballs ahead of time and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- In a pinch, you could substitute your favorite frozen meatball, partially thawed, and cook as directed, starting with the sauce step.
Check Out These Other Delicious Meatball Recipes
Have you tried this Cozy Meatball Parmesan recipe? Have you got a favorite meatball recipe? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!