These are not your classic chocolate chip cookies! These Banana Oats Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe are super healthy, really delicious, and made with just 2 main ingredients; bananas and oats! Easy to make and perfect any time of the day!
Loaded with oats and chocolate chips, these cookies are wonderful for breakfast or as a healthy protein packed snack!
I wanted to make some sort of a cookie that didn’t require butter (I know, what’s wrong with me?! – perhaps the fact that no-coat season is coming up?!) and something that wouldn’t require flour.
Looking in my pantry, the oats were the only thing that stood out. And chocolate, of course. And that’s when I decided to make this healthier chocolate-chip-cookie version.
These are quick, easy, healthy and of course incredibly delicious Banana Oats Chocolate Chip Cookies! And here comes the best part: you ONLY need 2 main ingredients!!
Ingredients for Breakfast Cookies:
- Chocolate Chips
How To Make Banana Oats Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Start by turning on the oven to 350˚F. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Next, mash bananas until smooth. Then add quick cooking oats. You can stop right there OR continue with some add-ins, like chocolate chips, or honey, even peanut butter. Play around until you find a favorite combination.
- Next, drop dough by large tablespoonfuls onto previously prepared baking sheet. Slightly flatten each cookie with oiled hands or the back of a spoon. Then add remaining mini chocolate chips, resting them on top of the cookies with light pressure. Keep in mind that these cookies do not spread while baking.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes, or until slightly browned on the edges. Then, remove from oven and let stand 1 minute. Transfer to cooling racks and let cool before serving.
I’m telling you, awesomest healthy cookies, ever. Super easy to make, and they are great for breakfast, or a snack… lunch, dessert… you get the point.
Can I make the Banana Oats Chocolate Chip Cookies Ahead?
- Absolutely. Scooped, shaped, and unbaked cookies can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
- Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking. The next day you will have a healthy and delicious cookie that is soft and moist and a snack your kids will love any time of the day. Plus, no added sugar, dairy or fat!! WIN!
How to Store Banana Oats Chocolate Chip Cookies?
- Once your cookies are baked and cooled, you can store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- You can also freeze them. Place cookies in a freezer-safe container or zip lock bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Be sure to completely cool the cookies before placing them in storage containers.
Can I eat these cookies for breakfast?
The yummy oats combination in the cookies is a great way to start the day! In fact, these cookies are perfect any time of the day!
Are quick oats the same as old fashioned oats?
No. Old fashioned oats are rolled whole-grain oat kernels. Quick cooking oats, on the other hand, are cut into smaller pieces before being rolled. This makes it much easier for quick oats to absorb water than an old fashioned oat.
FUN FACTS about cookies
- There are 7 billion chocolate chip cookies eaten in the United States every year, with about 50% of those homemade cookies.
- Pizzelles are the oldest known cookie and originated in the mid-section of Italy.
- Chocolate chip cookies are one of the world’s beloved sweet treats! The chocolate chip cookies were actually invented by accident. Ruth Wakefield decided to whip up a batch of Chocolate Butter Drop Dough Cookies, but ran out of baker’s chocolate, instead she chopped up semi-sweet chocolate. She expected for the chocolate to melt, but instead the chocolate pieces retained their form, softening to a moist, gooey melt, and the world had its first know chocolate chip cookie. Isn’t that incredible? I love history!
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Banana Oats Chocolate Chip Cookies
Delicious, healthy cookies, made with just 2 main ingredients!
Servings: 12 Cookies
Calories: 55 kcal
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1-1/2 cups quick oats
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips, divided
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup nutella
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, mash bananas until smooth.
Add oats, honey, vanilla, and half of the mini chocolate chips; mix until thoroughly combined.
Drop one heaping tablespoon of cookie dough onto previously prepared baking sheet.
Slightly flatten each cookie with oiled hands or the back of a spoon.
Add remaining mini chocolate chips, resting them on top of the cookies with light pressure.
Bake cookies for 14 to 15 minutes, or until slightly browned on the edges.
Remove from oven and let stand 1 minute.
Transfer to cooling racks.
Let cool before serving.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE INCLUDES BANANAS AND OATS, ONLY.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 1 (DOES NOT INCLUDE add-ins)
Banana Oats Chocolate Chip Cookies
Amount Per Serving (1 Cookie)
Calories 55 Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Vitamin A 13IU0%
Vitamin C 2mg2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.