OMG THIS YELLOW CHICKEN CURRY! ❤️Seriously, I haven’t had an easy weeknight meal this good in quite some time, so get those grocery lists ready because this is a recipe you NEED to make.
Abra and I first tested the recipe last fall in anticipation of my maternity leave, and I’ve been hoarding it in my drafts for months, waiting to hit publish. We couldn’t stop raving over just how delicious it was and still talk about it months later. It’s one of those recipes to come back to again and again because it’s just THAT good. And let’s be honest, there’s just nothing better than a bowl of flavorful, creamy curry packed with veggies during the cold winter months.
So my curry lovers, this one’s for you. It’s both dairy free & gluten free, and if you haven’t had curry before, then it’s time to give it a chance. Promise you’ll fall in love!
Ingredients in slow cooker yellow chicken curry
What I love about this chicken curry is that it’s made in the slow cooker. Just throw everything in and simmer to perfection all day long! Another thing to love? The rainbow of veggies slow cooked with warming spices; it’s savory, full of umami flavor, hearty and incredibly nourishing. To make this yellow chicken curry you’ll need these ingredients:
- Lite coconut milk: to create a creamy, flavorful curry sauce.
- Chicken broth (or you can use water)
- Natural creamy peanut butter: it brings this dish an incredible flavor – don’t skip it, but feel free to use cashew butter if you’d like. I love this brand of peanut butter that’s just peanuts + salt.
- Gluten free soy sauce
- Fresh garlic & ginger (so nourishing!)
- The delicious spice combo: yellow curry powder, turmeric & cayenne pepper
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- All of the gorgeous, nourishing veggies: carrots, onion, red bell pepper, sweet potatoes & peas
Is yellow curry spicy?
Yellow curry is not naturally spicy, so this healthy dinner is pretty mild in spice if you’re buying regular curry powder or mild yellow curry powder.
If you love kick of heat (like me) be sure to include the cayenne pepper with your spices! With or without the added spiciness this curry has bold, warming flavors that you’ll love.
How to make yellow chicken curry in the slow cooker
Making this healthy yellow chicken curry in the slow cooker is easy!
- First, add your “sauce” ingredients to the slow cooker: coconut milk, broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Whisk these together before adding your curry powder, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper.
- You’ll then add your chicken breast directly to the slow cooker along with your sweet potato, carrots and onion. Stir and make sure these are all covered by the sauce.
- Cook this on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Once it’s done, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon, shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker.
- Lastly, stir in the red bell pepper and peas, and cook this on high for another 10-20 minutes until the bell pepper is tender. Garnish with cilantro, serve with rice or naan and enjoy!
What to serve with slow cooker yellow chicken curry
This recipe is incredible served over brown rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice (if you’re looking for a low carb option). Add a side of toasted pita or naan bread to soak up that extra yellow curry sauce, too, and garnish with fresh cilantro to round out the dish.
See how to make the slow cooker yellow chicken curry
If you make this recipe, please take a moment to leave a comment and rate the recipe below so others know how you liked it! We appreciate you. xo.
Slow Cooker Yellow Chicken Curry
Total Time 3 hours 15 minutes
Delicious healthy slow cooker yellow chicken curry made with warming spices, coconut milk and a hint of peanut butter. This healthy yellow chicken curry recipes packs plenty of veggies and makes the perfect weeknight dinner for the whole family!
(15 ounce) can lite coconut milk
chicken broth (or water)
natural creamy peanut butter (or cashew butter)
gluten free soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
of freshly grated ginger
yellow curry powder (or regular curry powder)
- Freshly ground black pepper
boneless skinless chicken breast
medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups cubed sweet potato)
medium carrots, sliced
yellow onion, diced
red bell pepper, julienned
- To garnish:
- Fresh diced cilantro
In a large slow cooker add coconut milk, broth (or water) peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic and freshly grated ginger. Whisk to combine, then stir in spices: curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, pepper and salt.
Add chicken breast to slow cooker followed by sweet potato, carrots and onions. Gently stir so that the sauces covers all of the chicken and vegetables.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Remove chicken with slotted spoon and shred with two forks. Add shredded chicken back to slow cooker.
Before you’re ready to serve, stir in julienned red bell peppers and peas, cover and cook on high for another 10-20 minutes until bell peppers have tenderized a bit. Serve as is with a side of naan bread or with brown rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice. Serves 4.
Feel free to use cashew butter in place of peanut butter in this recipe.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 serving (based on 4)
Saturated fat: 6.1g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats