The French custom of serving radishes with sweet butter and sea salt is a lesson in simplicity; there’s something so satisfying about a lick of creamy butter against the snap of peppery radish. Here, anchovy paste adds a singular savor to the butter, but the ease of the tradition remains. It’s worth seeking out small radishes like the French Breakfast variety; if you can find only big ones, just halve them.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons anchovy paste
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 24 small radishes such as French Breakfast variety
- or 12 regular radishes, halved
- Blend butter in a food processor with anchovy paste, garlic, and lemon juice until smooth. Season with salt. Serve as a dip for radishes.