Lentil filled phyllo cups with a crunch on the top
- 1 cup dried small red or green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper or paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 frozen filo pastry shell, baked/thawed as per instruction
- Indian aloo bhujia to garnish (indian spicy snack- easily found in indian stores under the brand haldirams)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil the lentils with the bay leaves in 2-3 cups of water, till tender. Keep aside and cool. Do not drain and of the liquid.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion, garlic, cumin seeds and nuts. Saute for 5 minutes or until nuts are lightly browned. Stir in the tomato and all the dry spices and cook till tomatoes are tender. Stir in boiled lentils. Cook on medium flame till the flavors are fused and most of the liquid from the lentils has evaporated. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Pre heat the oven to 400 degree F.
- Put 1 teaspoon of the lentil dip in each filo pastry, and bake for 5-7 minutes till the phyllo pastry is crisp.
- Remove from heat, top with some Aloo Bhujia (for the crunch) and serve immediately.