Gather round everyone, the dinnertime blandness is no more! Here’s a handful of fresh ideas to amp up your plate and make mealtime more bright and colorful. If you’re looking for a nutritious adventure, we’ve rounded up a selection of deliciously healthy sides sure to make your dinner pop!
1. All Colors of Deliciousness: A Vibrant Variety of Healthy Sides
Adding a variety of flavorful sides to your meals is a great way to diversify your diet and take advantage of the many benefits of different nutrient-packed ingredients. Here’s a round up of some deliciously vibrant dishes that are not only pretty to look at but also healthy and nutritious!
- Roasted Butternut Squash. Fall is the perfect time for flavorful roasted squash. Cut it up, season it, pop it in the oven, and voila! Loaded with Vitamin A and a host of other important vitamins and minerals, it’s an ideal, low-calorie side for that autumnal feast.
- Quinoa Kale Salad. Nutrient dense superfood kale is a great healthy addition to your meals. Elevate it with quinoa, sun-dried tomatoes, and feta, and you’ve got a colorful, flavor-packed side dish. Completely vegan-friendly, full of protein, and the perfect accompaniment to a light lunch.
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries. It doesn’t get much better than this! Sweet and savory, these fries make a great alternative to regular potato fries. High in dietary fiber and extremely versatile, they’re great with a dip or just as a simple snack.
- White Bean and Spinach Soup. Deliciously creamy and naturally vegan, this soup is the perfect mix of protein, veggies, and herbs. Full of iron and calcium, it’s a great side dish to any meal, or light meal on its own.
The possibilities for flavorful, healthy dishes are truly endless! Experiment with different herbs, vegetables, and seasoning to spice up your mealtime. From comforting soups to crunchy salads, you can get creative with fresh, seasonal ingredients, and reap the benefits of a healthy, well-rounded meal!
2. Make Mealtime Exciting Again with a Rainbow of Flavorful Side Dishes
Life in the kitchen can become mundane when it comes to making meals, and the same side dishes can become mundane too. Start the fun again at mealtime with colorful and flavorful side dishes to break up the monotony. Here are some ideas you can try:
- Beet and Apple Slaw: Shred a combination of red and golden beets, toss with thinly-sliced apples and a lemon vinaigrette for a naturally sweet and tangy slaw.
- Roasted Cauliflower: Cut cauliflower into florets and roast with olive oil and spices for a little crunch and smoky flavor.
- Quinoa Salad: Cook the quinoa then combine with diced vegetables, nuts, and a garlic vinaigrette for a dish that is hearty and full of flavor.
Consider adding potatoes as a side dish, but mix up the flavors. Roast small golden potatoes with garlic and rosemary or slice them thin and fry them into crispy chips. You can also add a creamy potato salad flavor to the table with a Greek yogurt based dressing simmered with sliced potatoes and herbs.
3. The Benefits of Eating a Variety of Nutrient-Packed Vegetables
A colorful plate of vegetables provides a ton of nutritional benefits for every body type when it comes to getting healthy. Whether you’re just starting out on a plant-based diet, or already full-on vegan – it’s important that you get a variety of nutrients from different vegetables.
Eating a delicious and diverse selection of vegetables can help boost your overall health and wellness. Here are some of the benefits:
- Lowered Cholesterol – Replace unhealthy fats with vegetables and you will see a decrease in bad cholesterol levels
- Improved Immune System – Fruits and vegetables packed with vitamins and antioxidants can help fight infection
- Greater Energy – Consuming nutrient-dense vegetables supplies your body with fuel and energy to keep going
- Disease Prevention – Eating the recommended five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables daily helps prevent the risk of chronic illness such as heart disease and diabetes
It pays to get creative and switch it up with your veggies. Experiment and you’ll be able to reap all the benefits – from cancer prevention to increased skin and joint health.
4. How to Create Appetizing and Nutritious Sides that Will Safeguard Your Health
When it comes healthy meal sides, the possibilities are endless. Here are a few creative and nutritious options that will allow you to create delicious meals guaranteed to keep your health in check:
- Grains – incorporate wheat berries or brown rice into your meals. The fiber, magnesium, and B-vitamins found in these grains will help improve digestion and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Legumes – legumes such as chickpeas, black beans, and lentils are packed with protein, fiber, and other vitamins and nutrients, making them the ideal accompaniment to almost any meal.
- Veggies – serve up some roasted seasonal vegetables like zucchini, carrots, asparagus, or Brussels sprouts. These nutrient-rich vegetables can help you reach your daily fiber goals and provide antioxidants to help protect against chronic diseases.
Brighten up any meal with some of these nutritious and alkaline sides. Serve colorful salads packed with cucumbers, tomatoes, and avocados. Try your hand at some tasty stir-fry dishes that are packed with zucchini, mushrooms, snap peas, and red peppers. And don’t forget about millet, quinoa, and farro – these three ancient grains are full of protein and fiber and make a great substitution for any carb-laden side dish.
5. Add an Array of Colorful Sides to Any Meal for an Instant Health Boost!
Creating a flavorful, beautiful, and nutritious meal doesn’t have to take much effort. All it takes is a little creativity and a meal can be transformed! Adding an array of colorful sides instantly boosts the health benefits of any meal, and the possibilities are endless.
From roasted Brussels sprouts to cauliflower mash and sautéed bell peppers, veggies can always be jazzed up with a few ingredients to fluctuate their flavor. Start by picking out three to four colorful vegetables to make up the bulk of the sides. Try something like diced red bell peppers, sautéed mushrooms, roasted butternut squash, and garlic green beans. For more flavor, toss some grated cheese, herbs, and spices into the mix.
For extra fiber and nutrients go for root vegetables such as beets, carrots, and turnips. When time is cut short, reach for frozen vegetables that can easily be steamed or roasted in the oven. The possibilities are endless!
- Diced red bell peppers
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Roasted butternut squash
- Garlic green beans
- Frozen vegetables
For a healthier version, consider making a homemade version of some of your favorites favorite dishes such as French fries and mashed potatoes, using sweet potatoes and other veggies. Get creative and have fun with it!
End your next meal with a heavenly array of rainbow-colored sides and you’ll be blown away by the flavor. With each one of these amazing side dishes, you’ll be combining classic comfort with a dynamic gusto that will give you an unbeatable taste experience. Plus, you’ll also be setting a great example for your family by showing that healthy eating is not only delicious but also offers great variety. Top off your next meal with a colorful and tasty touch and you’ll soon be an auctioneer of healthy side dishes!