When it comes to snacking, cravings can be hard to resist! Most times, unhealthy snacks are the easy and convenient choice, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still indulge in delicious treats while also taking care of your body. How? By snacking smart! We’ve compiled some fantastic, healthy recipes for yummy snacks that won’t make you feel guilty afterwards. With these recipes, indulging in the snacks you love just got easier and healthier!
1. Nourish Your Body and Your Taste Buds
Feeding your body nutritiously and your taste buds indulgently don’t have to be mutually exclusive. You can satisfy both cravings by using healthy ingredients in recipes that are equally as delicious as their more fatty counterparts. Start your nourishing journey by stocking up on:
- Fresh produce, like fruits and vegetables
- Less processed proteins, like chicken and beans
- Whole grains, like oatmeal
These can be prepared as simple and healthy dishes that you can enjoy for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as snacks throughout the day. Get creative in the kitchen by introducing flavors that your body wouldn’t see as unhealthy. Think substituting the oil with coconut milk, or the sweetener with honey – all of a sudden, the dish is still delicious but guilt-free.
2. Make Snacking Smart & Fun
Snacking can quickly become a careless habit once cravings kick in. But it doesn’t have to be like that! Take control of your mindset and how you approach snacking. Smart and fun don’t have to be mutually exclusive!
Here are a few tips to make snacking smart and enjoyable:
- Mindful snacking: Take slow, conscious, and mindful bites. Notice the smell, texture, and flavor of each bite to help you savor it. Don’t guzzle down snacks mindlessly.
- Reconnect: Learning to enjoy snacking is all about reconnecting with your senses and eating to meet your needs rather than just as a pit stop to satisfy cravings.
- Play around with flavors: If you find yourself often eating the same snacks, it’s time to liven up your life with new, creative flavors. Try combining complementary flavors and textures that you love.
3. Cooking Up Healthy Treats: Delicious Ideas & Recipes
Staying healthy doesn’t have to mean giving up on your favorite sweet treats! Here are some delicious recipes that offer the perfect balance of health and flavor.
Whole Wheat Oat Bars
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup mini vegan chocolate chips
Simply combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in a food processor and blend until a paste forms. Press the paste in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with the chips and bake for 25 minutes at 350° F. Cut into bars when cool.
Vegan Beet Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups vegan sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated beets
Mix the first eight ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the almond milk, vanilla extract and grated beets. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring well until the batter is light and fluffy. Bake in a preheated 350° F oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. A Balanced Diet Includes Healthy Snacks
It’s likely you’ve heard it before, but a balanced diet really does include food from each essential food group. Yet, many of us don’t include snacks in our diet plan, despite them being an important part of a balanced meal plan. The trick is to have a few healthy snacks that nourish our bodies without sabotaging our health goals.
Benefits of Healthy Snacking:
- Satisfies Hunger Pangs: Eating snacks at regular intervals can help keep you feeling full throughout the day and prevent you from overeating.
- Balances Diet: When chosen smartly, healthy snacks can help ensure you’re getting all the vitamins, minerals, and protein your body needs.
- Boosts Energy: Healthy snacks made with natural ingredients can give you a much-needed energy boost between meals.
- Improves Focus: Smart snacks, like nuts, seeds, lean proteins and unprocessed carbohydrates, can give your brain the boost it needs for concentration and focus.
Fortunately, feeling satisfied between meals doesn’t have to mean giving up on your dietary eat healthily plans. By including nutritious snacks that are quick and easy to prepare in your regular diet, you can maintain your balance without sacrificing taste!
5. Taking Control of Midday Meals: Easy and Nutritious Recipes
Midday meals can sometimes feel mundane, or there may not be enough time to prep a filling and nutritious meal. Fortunately, with a few pantry basics and quick tips, you can take control of your midday meal and have a delicious, healthy meal in no time. Here are quick and easy recipes for nutritious midday meals:
- Cold Tomato Soup – chop up some tomatoes, onion, garlic cloves, and a bell pepper. Toss the chopped vegetables with a pinch of salt, half a teaspoon of paprika, five tablespoons of olive oil, and three tablespoons of red vinegar. Place the mixture in an airtight container and keep in the fridge overnight. In the morning, blend the ingredients and voila! Cold tomato soup is ready to enjoy.
- Tortilla Pizza – warm up a tortilla in a pan with a dash of oil. Then, top with your favourite pizza toppings such as cherry tomatoes, cubed mozzarella, pesto, olives, or roasted bell peppers. Place the pan in the oven and bake until the cheese melts. Bon appetit!
- Tuna Salad – grab a large bowl and mix together canned tuna, diced onions, small cubes of cucumber, and your desired spices. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Add a pinch of salt, mix it all together, and you’re good to go. Serve on a bed of lettuces with your desired sides.
- Veggie Burger – mix together a can of black beans, diced onions, minced garlic, chopped mushrooms, red peppers, and your favourite herbs. Scoop the mixture in a bowl and add an egg, a handful of oats, and a tablespoon of coconut flour. Form the mixture into patties and pan fry until golden-brown. Serve with burger buns, sliced tomatoes, and lettuces.
With these easy and nutritious midday meal recipes, you can take control of your lunch break and enjoy delightful dishes with minimal effort. Experiment and get creative with the ingredients to customize the recipes to your liking. Bon appétit!
Snacking smart can be delicious and easy when you follow these simple guidelines. With the many recipes and ideas provided, you can have tasty food that is also good for you. So don’t be fooled; the way to a healthy diet is through your snack choices. Snack like a pro and enjoy guilt-free treats!