Are you bored with the same old side dish recipes? It’s time to add some flavor and nutrition to your meal with our delicious and healthy side dish recipes. Whether it’s a holiday dinner, or just dinner during the week, we’ve created a collection of savory and healthy sides to spice up your table! From kale and quinoa to sweet potatoes and roasted peppers, you’ll find the perfect accompaniment to make your meal complete.
1. Spruce Up Your Table with Healthy Side Dishes
Healthy side dishes make all the difference when you are putting together a plateful of delicious homemade meals. They add zest and zing to simple dishes, while ensuring you are getting all the necessary nutrients at the same time. Here are some of the inspiring ideas to spruce up your table with nutritious side dishes.
- Everything is better with butterbeans: Who doesn’t love butterbeans? A creamy and comforting side dish, the butterbeans can be the perfect partner for roasted chicken or fried fish. Add little garlic and herbs for extra flavour.
- Vegetables don’t need to be boring: Roast, bake, steam – whatever is your vegetable-cooking technique of choice, there’s always something new to be tried. Liven up your midweek dinners by adding extra vibrant colour and colours in the form of veggies.
Rather than choosing the same old side dishes, mix it up with innovative ideas like roasted Brussels, roasted cauliflower and even lentils. Such side dishes are highly nutritious and help balance any meal. Top with a sprinkle of fresh herbs and your plate is ready!
2. Super Simple Savory Side Dish Delights
No matter what time of the day, side dishes are often the highlight of the meal. Whether you’re hosting a festive holiday meal or just a casual get-together, try one (or all!) of these savory side dish recipes and prepare to be delighted!
- Garlic Roasted Green Beans – Baked with extra-virgin olive oil, garlic and Parmesan cheese, these green beans make a delicious side dish for cottage cheese or homemade mac and cheeese.
- Spicy Chickpeas & Spinach – This vegan-friendly side dish of spiced chickpeas, spinach and scallions is a must-try if you like bold flavors and an extra kick.
- Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms – Caramelized onions, mushrooms, and garlic make a perfect topping for your favorite mashed potatoes and poultry dishes.
- Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan – This easy-to-make side dish will bring some pizzazz to your dinner table. It’s bursting with bright flavors, delicate crunch and a distinctly delicious Parmesan finish.
- Steamed Broccoli with Garlic Sauce – Enjoy a tasty and nutritious side with steamed broccoli and garlic sauce. It’s low in calories yet packed with flavor that your entire family will love.
These savory side dishes are easy to make and packed with flavor. Just a few simple ingredients and a few minutes of your time is all it takes to make these dishes sure to delight. They’re sure to become a regular staple in your kitchen!
3. Mix and Match with Deliciously Healthy Options
Healthy eating doesn’t mean sacrificing the flavors you love. You can mix and match delicious ingredients for exciting dishes that will tantalize your taste buds. Here are few tasty options to get you started.
- Stir fry vegetables with a dash of soy sauce
- Grill salmon with lemon juice and herbs
- Bake chicken coated in honey mustard
- Sauté tofu with a splash of sesame oil
Making healthy meals doesn’t have to be boring. With the right combination of ingredients, you can make a delectable dish that’s as fun to eat as it is good for you. Have fun experimenting to create your own delicious and nutritious recipes.
4. A Light and Flavourful Side Dish Selection
A side dish can be the star of the show when you’re looking to lighten the mood and delight your guests.
is the perfect way to elevate a meal. Have your guests asking for second helpings with any of these delectable ideas:
- Grilled asparagus – a classic. Fresh asparagus spears, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked over the grill. Delicious!
- Oven-roasted mushrooms – make a marinade with garlic, thyme, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and generously coat your mushrooms with the mixture before roasting in a hot oven.
- Roasted sweet potato wedges – add a light sweetness to any dish with these simple to make wedges. Simply cut the potatoes into wedges and toss in some olive oil and your favourite herbs and spices.
Mix and match a selection of light side dishes with your main to create the perfect meal. Combining a variety of side dishes allows you to create exciting flavour combinations that are sure to be a hit. Adding to your menu will leave your guests thoroughly impressed.
5. Unlock Your Creative Side with These Nutritious Recipes
Want to have fun and open up your creative side in the kitchen? You don’t need to compromise on nutrition either! Here are some nutritious recipes that are sure to unlock your creative self.
- The avocado pomegranate salad – Start with a bed of green leafy lettuce or spinach, and then layer it with slices of fresh avocado and pomegranate seeds. For the dressing, whisk together extra-virgin olive oil, freshly-squeezed lemon juice, a teaspoon of orange juice, some garlic powder and plenty of freshly-ground black pepper.
- The spiced, roasted nuts – Preheat your oven to 350°F, and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Mix together diced almonds, cashews, pecans, and walnuts. Then, stir in some smoked paprika, garlic powder, freshly-ground black pepper, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Spread this mixture onto the baking sheet, and bake it in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the nuts to cool before serving.
- The roasted veggie medley – Start with picking some of your favorite vegetables. Choose low-starch vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Toss with olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, and freshly-ground black pepper. Spread this mixture into a greased baking dish, and bake it in the oven until the vegetables are tender-crisp. Sprinkle over some Parmesan before serving it up.
Remember to always get creative, and have fun with your ingredients and flavors. Your kitchen is your creative playground! You’ll likely want to experiment and try new combinations, but one thing is certain – these nutritious recipes will fuel your creativity and help you come up with different flavor combinations. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for a delicious and nutritious dish to accompany your dinner tonight, these savory and healthy recipes are sure to be a hit with your family. Experiment with the recipe variations and explore the endless possibilities of delicious, healthy sides. Bon appetite!