Ingredients: 1 pound loaf of challah or other egg bread,3/4 cup butternut squash puree (either canned or from roasting and pureeing a squash),1/4 cup milk,3 eggs, lightly beaten,1 teaspoon vanilla,2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more for serving,Butter for the frying pan,Cinnamon for sprinkling
- Slice the loaf of bread into 8-10 slices (depending upon the length of the loaf).
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the squash puree, milk, eggs, vanilla and syrup. Dunk each slice of bread into the mixture and coat. Stack the slices in the bowl and spoon any liquid over the bread. Leave to soak for half an hour.
- Melt some butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place 3-4 slices of soaked bread in the pan and fry until golden brown. Flip and fry the other side until golden. Turn the heat down if its cooking too fast or getting too dark.
- Remove the French toast slices to an oven proof pan and keep warm in a low oven. Repeat frying with the remaining slices. When ready to eat, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with maple syrup.