Ingredients: 125gr / 4.5 oz. smoked bacon sliced finely or into thin strips,1 can kidney beans (400gr / 14 oz.) drained and washed,1 can chopped tomatoes (400gr / 14 oz.),3 carrots, peeled and chopped finely,3 stalks of celery chopped finely,1 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves,3 large cloves of garlic, chopped finely,100gr / 3.5 oz. macaroni,1 tbsp olive oil,1 large onion chopped finely,Some finely grated parmesan to serve,Salt and black pepper to taste,1/3 of a savoy cabbage, shredded,2 tbsp tomato purée,2 large tomatoes chopped into 8ths,1.2 liter / 2.5 pt. UK / 2.1 pt.US chicken or vegetable stock
- Heat the oil in a very large pan that has a close fitting lid. Then add the celery, bacon, onion, carrot and garlic. Fry this off for about 5 to 7 minutes until it has softened a little. No colour is needed on the vegetables, so make sure the heat isnt too high that they become brown, but high enough the vegetables sweat and soften.
- Add the tomato pure and the thyme leaves, stir through and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the stock, the tin of tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, and a little salt and pepper. Stir everything through, set the heat so that your soup is on a gentle simmer, cover and cook for about 25 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked al dente.
- Add the pasta and cook until the pasta is ready. Follow the timing instructions on the packet, but this is normally about 7 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and the beans and cook until the cabbage has wilted. This will take about 5 minutes.Check for seasoning and add some salt and pepper if needed before serving.
- Sprinkle a little parmesan over each bowl of soup.