Ingredients: 3 cups of baby spinach, cut into thin strips,1 bay leaf,freshly ground black pepper,1 can (28- ounce) of crushed tomatoes,4 cups of Chicken Stock,2 teaspoons of chili powder,2 cups of chickpeas (preferably, dried beans that have been soaked/cooked),2 tablespoons garlic, chopped,1 pound of ground chicken,1 teaspoon ground cinnamon,1 teaspoon ground cumin,kosher salt,2 tablespoons of olive oil,1 large onion, chopped,1 cup of whole-wheat orzo pasta,1 teaspoon of paprika,1 teaspoon of sugar
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot.Flame should be medium to low.
- Add onions and cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic. Cook for about 1 minutes.
- Add the spices and move around pot for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the ground meat, 1 teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper. Cook meat until completely cooked thru.Then add the chickpeas.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and chicken stock.Bring the soup to a bowl.Then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 40-45 minutes. Taste.
- Add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add the orzo pasta. Cook for 6 minutes.Turn off heat and add the spinach.
- Serve with crusty bread or crackers