Ingredients: Pico de gallo,1/2 of a minced white onion,4 large tomatoes, diced,1/4 cup minced cilantro,1/2 jalapeno, diced,1 tablespoon fresh lime juice,Salt,Black Bean Soup,1 pound dried black beans, rinsed,4 cups of water,1/2 white onion, chopped,2 carrots, peeled and chopped,3 ounces salted pork (Note: I found this at Whole Foods right next to the smoked ham hoc,1 pound smoked ham hocks,2 garlic cloves,1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper,1 teaspoon cumin,1/2 teaspoon dried oregano,1 1/2 teaspoons salt,1/2 cup – 1 chicken stock (optional),Chipotle Crème,1/4 cup low far sour cream,1/4 greek yogurt,1/2 teaspoon chipotles (Tip: I buy a can of chipotles from the grocery store, and keep it fro
- In a tall soup pot, combine the beans, water, onion, carrots, salt pork and ham hocks. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, white pepper, cumin, oregano and salt and continue to simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally until the beans are very tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove the ham hocks , remove the meat from the bone, shred the meat and place back in the pot.
- If the soup is too thick, stir in some chicken stock to bring it to your desired consistency.
- Serve in bowl, topped with pico de gallo and a dollop of chipotle crme.
- NOTE: the original recipe calls to puree the soup, but I prefer it more like a stew, and having the beans whole.