If you’re looking for a warm and spicy drink to perk you up on a chilly morning, look no further than chai latte. This deliciously fragrant tea-based latte is made with a blend of spices, black tea, and milk.
While chai latte can be found at coffee shops around the world, it’s surprisingly easy to make at home. Whether you prefer to steep your own spices or use a pre-made chai spice mix, you can whip up a delicious chai latte in minutes. Follow this recipe to spice up your morning routine and start your day off right.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 black tea bags
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3-4 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1-2 cloves
- Fresh ginger, peeled and minced (optional)
- 1-2 tsp honey or sugar (optional)
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, and ginger (if using). Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes until the milk is fragrant.
- Add the black tea bags and let it steep for 3-5 minutes. Remove the tea bags from the milk and discard.
- Sweeten the milk with honey or sugar to taste (if using).
- Using a fine-mesh strainer or tea strainer, strain the milk into a cup.
- Enjoy your homemade chai latte.
Pro tip: You can use a pre-made chai spice mix instead of steeping your own spices. Simply add 1-2 tablespoons of chai spice mix to the milk while it simmers, then strain the milk before adding the tea bags.