Ingredients: 2 tablespoons olive oil,1 medium onion, chopped,2 garlic cloves, minced,1 fennel bulb, ends and fronds trimmed, chopped,8 ounces spicy chorizo, cut in ½” slices,1 teaspoon dried thyme,1 teaspoon dried oregano,1 teaspoon salt,1 bay leaf,2 inches large Yukon gold potatoes, cut ½” cubes,6 cups chicken broth,1/2 pound kale, ends trimmed, washed, coarsely chopped,1 pound halibut filet or other firm fleshed white fish, cut in 1″ pieces,Flat leaf parsley for garnish,Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, one minute.
- Add fennel and chorizo and continue cooking, stirring, until onion is translucent and fennel begins to soften.
- Add potatoes, thyme, oregano, salt and bay leaf and toss to coat in the oil.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are nearly tender.
- Stir in kale and cook until leaves brighten and stalks soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add halibut and carefully submerge in stock.
- Gently cook over medium heat until fish is just cooked through.
- Add extra salt if necessary.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve in warm soup bowls garnished with parsley sprigs and freshly ground black pepper.