Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups heavy cream,1 cup whole milk,1/2 cup sugar,Pinch of kosher salt,1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract,5 egg yolks
- Combine heavy cream, whole milk, 1/4 cup sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape in seeds; add pod (or use 1 teaspoon vanilla extract). Bring mixture just to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Remove from heat. If using vanilla bean, cover; let sit 30 minutes.
- Whisk 5 large egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl until pale, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup warm cream mixture.
- Whisk yolk mixture into remaining cream mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat a wooden spoon, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Strain custard into a medium bowl set over a bowl of ice water; let cool, stirring occasionally. At this point, you can transfer the mixture to a bowl and cover it by putting plastic wrap directly on the top of the custard. It can cool overnight in the fridge and processed in the morning.
- Process custard in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- Transfer to an airtight container; cover. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 1 week.